Location: Bakersfield, California
Internal Number: REQ-020874
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
General Description and Essential Functions
- Under the supervision and control of a Licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist may perform the following duties:
- Completes appropriate routing, handling, and processing of various medical specimens by: properly verifying samples to laboratory requisitions, verifying the correct sample(s) were received for the test(s) ordered, and documenting date and time specimen is received and/or any specimen discrepancies upon receipt of sample.
- Will be required to manually process and/or load patient samples onto pre-analytical automated equipment for specimen processing.
- Responsible for centrifuging samples and storing them at the correct temperature as dictated by accepted specimen requirement and handling procedures.
- Will be required to pull archived samples for add-on or repeat testing.
- May be required to prepare, label, and store stock and work reagents. May be required to perform data entry into the computer system.
- May be required to perform courier runs to outside draw stations, clients, or other locations as deemed necessary.
- May be required to answer phones and interact with clients and/or patients as necessary.
- Participates in and supports all Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement endeavors for the laboratory, as applicable
- In addition to an employee's typical work schedule, this position requires employees to work weekends, split shifts, overtime and holidays if needed by the Company. Other duties may apply as necessary.
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching
- Frequent, prolonged standing/sitting/walking
- Must be able to see, hear, and respond adequately
- Extensive computer work
- Frequent use of telephone and fax
- Occasional travel required to interact with Division personnel and/or attend meetings, educational training
Work Experience and Educational Requirements
- Knowledge of basic laboratory, phlebotomy, and clinical laboratory safety procedures is required.
- Ability to work the computer system, analyzer machines, telephones, copy and fax machines.
- If employee is required to operate a company vehicle for the performance of their duties, they must meet applicable company insurance guidelines, including a DMV record comparable to that of a Transportation Courier.
- High school graduate or GED required. Associates of Science Degree or Bachelor of Science degree from accredited college or university preferred.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
WestPac Labs, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.