Location: Pismo Beach, California
Internal Number: REQ-021686
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Quality is in our DNA -- is it in yours?
You are a superhero when it comes to processing patient specimens at our Patient Service Center. You've got problem-solving instincts, a passion for patient care, and the drive to keep things running smoothly. You're also looking for great benefits, the support of an all-star team, and an opportunity to grow your career.
Join our front line of #HealthcareHeroes! Our mission is to advance the health and well-being of our communities as a leader in clinical laboratory solutions.
Location: Pismo, CA
Days: Monday- Friday and every other Saturday (with Flex day)
Hours: 8 am to 5 pm
Base Pay: $16.50 - $18.00 D.O.E.
This opportunity is Full-Time Basis 1:00 pm to 9:45 pm or can consider a part time role.
In this role, you will:
Complete appropriate routing, handling, and processing of various medical specimens by: properly verifying samples to laboratory requisitions, verifying the correct sample(s) were received for the test(s) ordered, and documenting date and time specimen is received and/or any specimen discrepancies upon receipt of sample.
- Manually process and/or load patient samples onto pre-analytical automated equipment for specimen processing.
- Centrifuge samples and store them at the correct temperature as dictated by accepted specimen requirement and handling procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the compliance policies related to test ordering, which requires developing ability to research test ordering information on translation tables, computer system, and the directory of services.
- Meet standards for production and accuracy within six (6) months
- Perform data entry and send out processing.
- Complete all required written documentation legibly and within assigned timeframe.
- Meet or exceed all performance expectations including maintaining strong attendance, adhering to work schedule, and demonstrating core WestPac values and behaviors as reflected by work performance and interaction with team.
- Participate in and support all Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement endeavors for the laboratory, as applicable.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills to foster a positive environment.
- In addition to an employee's typical work schedule, this position requires employees to work weekends, split shifts, overtime, and holidays if needed by the Company. Other duties may apply as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Have knowledge of basic laboratory and phlebotomy terminology along with clinical laboratory safety procedures.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English language; demonstrate legible handwriting.
- Have the ability to type 40 Words Per Minute (WPM).
- Be proficient at data entry and be detail-oriented.
- Be skilled with oral and written comprehension.
- Understand administrative procedures and systems such as word processing software and electronic files and records.
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize tasks and engage in multi-tasking.
- Have the ability to budget time and complete tasks/work assignments by predetermined deadline.
- Demonstrate a high degree of autonomy and possess exceptional time management skills.
- Have the ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to problems.
- Have the ability to work with computer systems, telephones, copiers, and fax machines.
Required Education and Experience:
- Have a completed high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have a medical background or demonstrate knowledge of medical terminology.
- Have experience in a high volume, fast-paced work environment.
- Have the ability to require lifting and carrying objects up to 25 pounds.
- Be able to reach, stoop/bend, kneel/crouch, push/pull, and walk.
- Engage in moderate to frequent computer work.
- Engage in moderate to frequent use of telephone and fax.
- Have the ability to see, hear, talk, and respond adequately.
- Additional Company Information
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
1st Shift (United States of America)
WestPac Labs, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.